25th March 2009


This year we paraded to celebrate our freedom from the Turks. The 25th of March is a double celebration, we also celebrate the Annunciation of Theotokos. In this parade all the schools of Nafpaktos took part. We gathered at the Kefalovrisso square before the parade started. We waited for approximately 30 minutes for all the students to arrive and to start the parade. The weather was very cloudy and foggy. It had started to rain before we started but it didnt last long. We paraded perfectly because we felt proud of our country. I am sure that next year more students will take part, I know I will.

by Katerina Kotsialou

2 comments:

  1. oh jeez what a lie celebrate our freedom...un-bloody-believable the only reason children parade is for their parents to see them and go 'aah how beautiful our child is and blah blah blah' and for most of the students who participate means nothing except that the whole town will see them all dressed up. pathetic...( of course there are exceptions but only a few unfortunately)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I partly agree with you, but I wouldn't use the word pathetic. I've participated in school parades as a student and I have to say that it was something I personally liked, without having any particular reason to like it.

    The point is that the school parade is something that has to do with important events of our national history. Some people have died and we have to pay some tribute to them. I don't know if this is the best way to do so. Perhaps there could be some other better things we could do, but nobody has proposed something different.

    To conclude with, I believe that questioning the value of different things is something healthy and useful. However, I'd like to listen to some positive alternatives, because the only thing I read and listen is negative criticism.

    ReplyDelete